Robert K. Savage
Robert K. Savage is a New Jersey native who has been living in Florida for more than 25 years. He earned his Master of Business Administration degree and his law degree from the University of Florida and has been a member of the Florida Bar since January 1994. Mr. Savage has significant experience in all manner of business disputes, insurance disputes and securities brokerage compliance and regulatory matters, including defending brokers who have been sued. He is licensed to practice in all Florida state courts as well as the Federal District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Since graduating from the University of Florida with his undergraduate, master of business administration and law degrees, Mr. Savage dedicated his practice to helping his clients to achieve their goals.
Between 2010 and 2015, Mr. Savage was on the faculty of two law schools where he founded legal clinics to provide free legal services to those who could not afford an attorney. From 2010-2013 Mr. Savage was a professor at Florida International University School of Law, and then from 2013-2015, he taught at Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
Mr. Savage was senior in-house counsel and chief compliance officer for a large regional brokerage firm where he and the two other founding members began the brokerage firm with three administrative staff and less than ten brokers. In the ensuing years, they grew the firm to more than 500 employees across most of the United States.
Mr. Savage worked in New York City as a regulator with the National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc. (NASD), now known as the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). During Mr. Savage’s time as a regulator, he investigated numerous customer complaints against registered representatives and brokerage firms.
Areas of Practice
Insurance Defense, Business Formation Consulting, Business Operations Consulting, FINRA Arbitration, Regulatory Representation & Consulting
Publications & Media
- New York Times, Wall Street Often Slow To Tell of Brokers’ Sins, February 23, 2011.
- The Miami Herald, Scammers, Schemers Target the Elderly, May 6, 2013.
- PIABA Annual Conference Securities Law Materials, Securities Law Update 2012, October 2012.
- PIABA Annual Conference Securities Law Materials, Comparative Discussion of Pre-Hearing Legal Issues, Strategies and Preparation Before the Hearing: Exploring Critical Differences Among New York, Florida, California, and Texas Law, October 2013.
- St. Petersburg Bar Association Magazine, the Paraclete, Costs Bonds in Florida Trial Courts, Part 1, October 2014.
- St. Petersburg Bar Association Magazine, the Paraclete, Costs Bonds in Florida Trial Courts, Part 2, November 2014.
- St. Petersburg Bar Association Magazine, the Paraclete, Are your tax returns trying to tell you something? What your year end investment documents can tell you about your stockbroker or investment advisor., February 2012.
- St. Petersburg Bar Association Magazine, the Paraclete, Do Investors Have Rights When Their Investment Accounts Suffer Losses?, June 2012.
Professional & Volunteer Activities
- Founding Member, St. Pete Beach Festivals, Inc., a 501c3 tax exempt organization.
- Executive Council Member, Florida Bar Public Interest Law Section –2014-2015.
- Member, PIABA SRO Committee – 2013
- Member, PIABA Annual Meeting Committee – 2012-2014
- Member, ABA Securities Dispute Resolution Committee 2011-2013
- Member, Subcommittee on Florida Statutes Chapter 607, Subpart 4 (Extraordinary Transactions – Affiliated Transactions & Control Share Acquisitions) – 2011
- Founding Board Member, Academy By The Sea Charter School, St. Pete Beach.
- Founding Attorney for Gasparilla Film Festival, Tampa.
- Volunteer legal counsel for Montessori By The Sea School, Pass A Grille.
- Member, Professional Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA), 2004 – present.
- Hearing Officer, St. Petersburg Housing Authority Hearing Officer, 2009 to present.
- Admitted to Florida Bar, January 1994.
- Admitted to practice before United States District Courts for the Middle and Northern Districts of Florida.
- St. Petersburg Bar Association member.
- Hillsborough County Bar Association member.
- Florida, 1994
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, 1993 Juris Doctor
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1993
Major: International Finance
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1993 B.S. Honors: Certificate of Entrepreneurship
Past Employment Positions
- The Savage West Law Firm, P.A., Attorney, 2002 – 2005
- G.A.F., Inc., Executive Vice President, 1997 – 2002
- Business Consulting
- Hackensack, New Jersey, USA