This is the way many families are able to immigrate to live permanently in the United States.  It often starts with one family member immigrating to the United States and obtaining their lawful permanent residence or naturalization as a U.S. citizen.

As a lawful permanent resident you can use Form I-130 to establish the relationship with your spouse, your unmarried children under the age of 21, or your unmarried son or daughter over the age of 21.  If you or your family member is a naturalized citizen, he or she is able to sponsor more members of your family for immigration. So, a U.S. citizen is able to establish the family relationship with the family members listed above, plus married sons or daughters of any age; brothers or sisters (if the sponsor is 21 years of age or older); and mother or father (again, you would need to be at least 21 years of age or older.)

There are some instances where you would not be able to use Form I-130 to sponsor an alien relative for immigration.  These include, but are not limited to, some adopted children and some step children and step parents, along with grandparents and grandkids.  Because this can be a complex petition based on your family situation, please call us at 813-251-4890 to have an initial consultation.  We look forward to helping you work to get your family’s lawful presence in the United States.